When you love your car, only the best will do – and Gtechniq Works in Upper Heyford has a reputation for providing the very best in automotive detailing, and consumer products that produce excellent results at home.
Its Centre of Excellence opened three years ago and since then the team has worked on everything from customers’ new cars to some of the world’s most sought-after supercars.
Bringing vehicles ‘back to new’ or preparing them for car shows requires dedication and the best products. Gtechniq have developed the technology and products to do just that, and are keen to share the know-how and products with customers looking to work on their own cars at home.
Gtechniq was founded by quantum physicist Drew Gill in 2001, who was driven to use his scientific expertise to create ‘the world’s most beautiful, perfectly finished, smartest and most intelligent surfaces’. Gtechniq Smart Surface Science was the outcome and when Drew handed over the reins of Gtechniq in 2006 to current Managing Director Rob Earle, Rob’s passion for cars, boats and detailing prompted him to develop the products for the automotive and
Head of Detailing Adam Eaton typically carries out detailing on around seven cars a month. Each detail typically involves a full decontamination of the paintwork, cleaning the wheels, engine bay and revival of interiors using Gtechniq’s growing line of
Car owners are advised that the best results from detailing are achieved in the Centre of Excellence or at an accredited dealer, where a temperature controlled, dust-free environment exists. While this type of environment is almost impossible to replicate at home, the great news is that Gtechniq has a range of maintenance products that can be used at home to retain that freshly detailed finish.
Head of Marketing Dom Berry outlined the first, and perhaps most important, change of habit: “Probably the biggest issue when cleaning a car is that most people are still using sponges, which trap all the grit and dirt between the face of the sponge and the paint and mean you’re effectively using an abrasive.
“Our wash process includes using a good quality wash mitt and specially designed buckets with grit guards so that you’re safely removing all the harsh dirt and debris off the car. After that, we have products that offer a durable protection that is water and oil repellent and impervious to extremes of pH.”
Gtechniq has a helpful guide to using its products, a full version of which is available directly from the firm. Briefly, the advice is as follows:
– Wash your car in the shade if possible to prevent soap suds drying too quickly. If that is not possible, work panel by panel and rinse with an open-ended hose.
– Use W5 Citrus Wheel Cleaner and W6 Iron and General Fallout Remover on wheels and wheel arches, then hose or jet wash.
– Fill a bucket of water with GWash solution and another with fresh water and use grit guards to prevent larger dirt particles mixing in the water.
– Use a WM2 Microfibre Wash Mitt, dip it into the suds and clean one wheel and arch at a time, rinsing the wash mitt in the clean water before dipping it into the suds.
– Apply a thick layer of W4 Citrus Foam (if you have a foam lance) or W5 Citrus All Purpose Cleaner all over the cool, dry car and leave to dwell for a few minutes, then rinse using a hose on fairly high pressure.
– If the lower sides of the car are still dirty, spray again with diluted W5 Citrus All Purpose Cleaner, leave one or two minutes, then rinse.
– Where edges are peppered with bugs, spray W8 Bug Remover for three to five minutes then rinse.
– After washing, if there are any tar spots left, spray W7 Tar and Glue Remover onto the affected area for one or two minutes before gently wiping with a microfibre cloth, then rinse
– Rinse well all over with fresh water from an open-ended hose or jet wash
Dry all of the exterior surfaces of your car with an MF2 Microfibre Drying Towel or a MF4 Diamond Sandwich Microfibre Towel
– Clean all of the exterior glass with G6 Perfect Gloss
– Use Gtechniq Quick Detailer on your paintwork with an MF1 ZeroR Microfibre Buff Close
– On dry wheels and tyres applying the T1 Tyre Dressing with an AP3 Foam Filled Applicator
Dom Berry added: “Gtechniq works do offer a maintenance wash service for anyone that has had their car detailed in the studio. For those that have not, we still have a great range of products that are available to purchase, to enable enthusiasts to do this themselves.
“We advise anyone who wants to give their car the best possible protection to contact us and bring the vehicle for us to assess the paint and provide a specific solution for each vehicle.”
For more information on Gtechniq Works, go to www.gtechniqworks.com