It was almost two years to the day since Tim Lee, founder of Collaborate MK, asked me what I thought about his idea to start a new networking group in Milton Keynes. We were one month into a global pandemic… networking?!
That didn’t stop Tim. In all honesty, it probably pushed him even harder to make a truly collaborative networking group offering ‘something for everyone’ – virtual, breakfast, brunch, lunch and evening meetings.
Two years later – having seen Tim’s dream of creating a new style of networking flourish with over 200 members – we were at Pavenham Golf Club for the inaugural Collaborate MK Golf Day
According to Forbes’ article ‘Golfers Make Better Business Executives’, 90% of Fortune 500 Company CEOs play golf, and 80% of all executives say: ‘Golf has the power to establish new relationships’. Not only do you acquire a professional relationship, you also make a friend that can last a lifetime.
With that in mind, 24 Collaborate members and guests took to the wonderful course. Golf offers a great networking solution – only a small amount of your four hours playing 18 holes is actually spent hitting a golf ball, the rest of the time is perfect to create those business relationships
After the obligatory refreshment at the 19th hole, it was time for the prize giving:
- Winner’s Trophy – won by John Pratt of Bidwell Accountancy Ltd – Provided by Collaborate MK
- Longest Drive Trophy – won by William Platten of i-texo Recruitment Ltd – Provided by Acknowledge Designs Branding
- Nearest The Pin Prize – won by David Wraight of Carey Group PLC – £50 worth of golf balls, provided by Simon Evans, The Private Health Care Guy
- Best Front Nine Score – won by Peter Woods of Cleartrack Business Growth – golfing umbrella, donated by Barth Consulting
- Best Back Nine Score – won by John Oratt of Bidwell Accountancy Ltd – £60 voucher for Pro Shot Golf Simulator, Stacey Bushes, donated by It’seeze Milton Keynes.
It was unanimous that the day was an outstanding success, so much so that the second Collaborate MK Golf Day will be held on September 30, 2022 – non-members are welcome to join in and see what makes this the best networking group in the area.
James Fishwick, is the founder of Greenwich Management Consultants and Tim’s business adviser. After a 25-year career, James left corporate life to start his company, offering advice, providing assistance and undertaking assignments for companies in their journey from start-up to sale, for sole traders to FTSE 100.
“The aim is to help companies be more effective and efficient in their commercial, marketing and operational activities and therefore more profitable.”