A domain name is the bit after your www. and essentially your website address. It acts as your address where internet users can find and access your website. Technically, it is an IP address – a series of numbers, like a long telephone number – but since these are very difficult to remember, domain names were developed instead to act in place of these long strings of numbers.
A domain name does several things for you such as:
- Adding credibility to your business
- Giving you a web presence
A good, memorable domain name can be the difference between a successful online presence for your business and getting lost in cyberspace between thousands of similar businesses.
Choosing your domain name is one of the most important things you can do for your online presence as it helps both customers and search engines to find you.
Some tips for choosing your domain name:
- Make your name unique so that it will be memorable to your customers;
- Make it relevant to your business so that your visitors to your website will immediately know what you do;
- Make it easy and short (avoid using a hyphen and see how easy it is to read once you have it all next to each other, for instance if your business is called Q and A, www.qanda is read as qanda rather than ‘q and a’ and can be confusing to your customers;
- Use Namelynx’s domain name generator at www.namelynx.com to help you choose
What extension to use
That is the .com or .co.uk part. It is getting harder and harder to find quality .com domain names, as most good ones are already taken. Namelynx can, however, offer you great alternatives that can, in fact, distinguish your business even more. Let’s take an example of Pete who has a small IT company. Some possibilities for him are:
These can really make Pete’s business stand out as they are often much more memorable than a .com.
You can also use location specific extensions to ensure that your domain is protected in all the territories in which you intend doing business, such as .africa, .london or .berlin
Your domain name is almost like your trademark online – why not use it to your full advantage!
Visit Namelynx at www.namelynx.com to secure your unique identifying domain name and make sure you stand out from the crowd.