Winchester House, the day and boarding prep school in Brackley, is celebrating after being awarded an ‘Excellent’ rating by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI).
This is the highest award available as an outcome of the inspection following the inspectors’ visit in January. The report focusses on the achievement of the pupils, including both academic development and personal development.
Antonia Lee, Head at Winchester House School, said
“I am incredibly proud of this wonderful assessment of life and learning at Winchester House. The result is not only a testament to the hard work, dedication and passion of our magnificent team, but also to the pupils throughout the school who continue to push themselves to thrive in all areas of school life. I would also like to thank Winchester House families for their ongoing support and efforts in helping make our school community what it is.
“The inspectors were with us across a week, joining lessons and meeting with staff and pupils. I was particularly thrilled to see such positive observations on Winchester House children throughout the report, with reflections on passions for learning, collaboration, academic skills, manners and self-confidence. We have high academic aspirations at the school of course, but to receive such positive feedback on well-rounded Winchester House pupils was very satisfying and a celebration of the rich curriculum and broad aspirations for learning we have here.
“This is, of course, a moment of huge celebration for the whole Winchester House community and a wholehearted endorsement of the learning provision at the school. Now, as a school, we also look to the future with great excitement and enthusiasm for what else we can achieve together.”
“Winchester House is the first school in The Stowe Group to have a full ISI inspection since last year’s merger. I am delighted that Winchester House has been awarded the ultimate accolade of being excellent in all respects. This is a resounding endorsement of a Winchester House education and testimony to the professionalism, pride and hard work of pupils, teachers, and support staff.”
Some of the findings of the report include:
- “Pupils’ academic and other achievements are excellent in all areas of school life.”
- “Pupils are outstanding communicators; they are articulate and polite and apply a high standard of written skills successfully to other subjects”
- “Pupils demonstrate excellent levels of self-understanding and self -confidence and are very well prepared for the next stage in their education”
- “Pupils have outstanding communication skills, having been encouraged to share their opinions and ideas from the earliest years”
- “Pupils’ admirable attitudes to learning promote their excellent progress”
- “Pupils demonstrate excellent study skills that enable them to make hypotheses, analyse information & synthesise their results”
The full report can be found here.