In today’s world, businesses are no longer just profit-driven entities. For many, their contribution back to society is something of importance to them not only because it helps to build customer trust and it is a good thing to do. Many businesses are now taking a more strategic route to the community support they give as they have identified that pro bono giving allows businesses to reap a number of benefits.
- Skill development and employee engagement: there is double benefit of employees participating in pro bono activities, for the charity or community group involved who directly gain from the support, and for the volunteer, who gets a chance to be involved in a unique opportunity – gaining valuable experience and expertise in areas they might not have explored otherwise. Research shows that employee volunteering can lead to increased job satisfaction and motivation, ultimately boosting employee engagement and retention
- Innovation and problem solving: by working on socially impactful projects, employees can develop new skills and approaches that can be applied to the company’s core business when they return to work.
- Access to a broader talent pool: pro bono projects often involve cross-functional teams, allowing employees from various departments to collaborate. This collaborative environment can help identify and nurture talent within the organisation, potentially uncovering hidden skills and abilities among employees.
- Strengthened community ties: if you want to communicate and gain a better understanding of the local community then corporate pro bono support will allow you to get on the community’s radar and strengthen a company’s connection to the communities in which it operates. By directly addressing local needs and issues, businesses become integral parts of the community fabric. This can lead to a positive reputation, and a stronger customer base, all of which can positively impact your profit line.
- Positive public relations: engaging in pro bono work generates positive media coverage and public relations opportunities. When a company shares its stories of social impact and community involvement, it can inspire others to follow suit and create a ripple effect of positive change. Whilst again creating a positive image of your company in the public domain.
Corporate pro bono support is a win-win for both businesses and community. It allows companies to fulfil their social responsibilities, engage employees, and strengthen their communities while also benefiting from enhanced public relations, tax incentives, and improved problem-solving skills. As businesses continue to evolve in the modern world pro bono support has become an indispensable tool for creating lasting positive change in the world. By embracing corporate pro bono support, companies can truly make a difference beyond profits and contribute to a more compassionate and equitable society.
How does my company get involved?
MK Community Foundation’s Capacity Support programme aims to connect local business with the voluntary sector. Specialising in skills-based volunteering the Foundation will work with businesses to find out what skills they can offer to the voluntary sector and link them up with a group in need.
To find out more check out the website or get in touch with Michaela Clark, Capacity Building Manager at email@example.com